offrss - Offline RSS reader
- Code and dependencies: standard C + POSIX(sockets, lockf). Easy to cross-build.
- Works as a standalone webserver: simply run offrss -w and point your browser to http://localhost:8090/.
- Downloads to rsyncable/unisonable files: feed contents and images (so, storing comic stripes).
- Single input:
- Supports RSS and ATOM feeds through libmrss.
- File locking, offrss -u can run in cron, without expecting trouble while manually updating:
- CGI interface, to be easily served through a web server if desired. The demo web site may even be up.
- CSS - have a file offrss.css next to feedurls.txt
- Allows marking the already read news.
- Generation of PDF for ebooks (optional, using podofo).
Write a file named
feedurls.txt, with contents like this:
# Syntax: # # A comment # - Section name # feedid http://wherever.com/feed/atom # (the url starts at the last space of the line, so feedid can freely have spaces) - Còmic dilbert http://feeds.feedburner.com/DilbertDailyStrip ru_nichtlustig http://www.livejournal.com/users/ru_nichtlustig/data/rss - Informàtica lwn http://lwn.net/headlines/newrss LOR http://feeds.feedburner.com/org/LOR?format=xml
From the directory of that
feedurls.txt file, run
offrss -u to get the feeds. Run this online every time you want to get new feeds from the URLs.
offrss -w and visit the URL given with your browser to use the reader offline. If you have the environment variable WEBBROWSER=firefox it will even open firefox for you.
For current development, you have two options:
- Clone the fossil repository. Install fossil and run:
fossil clone http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/cgi-bin/offrss offrss.fossil mkdir offrss cd offrss fossil open ../offrss.fossil trunk
- Get the latest trunk version in ZIP.
If you don't have podofo in the system, you will have to edit the first lines of the Makefile to disable the pdf support. You will find a comment about that there.
I chose to publish the code under GNU Affero GPL 3 or later (at your option).